Today my fiancee and I started a batch of mead. It is the first batch we have made in our new home and it is going to be the batch that we give out at our wedding in a little over 4 months.
Here are the stats:
- 11 pounds Buckwheat honey
- 5 pounds Wildflower honey
- 6 gallons total beginning volume
- Lalvin D-47 wine yeast
- 3 tsp yeast energizer
- 3 tsp yeast nutrient
- 1.103 initial specific gravity
I am hoping for something sweet to give our guests. If it is boring when it is time to bottle, I may sneak a little tart cherry juice into the batch.
My girlfriend and I just finished bottling batch 10 of our mead. This batch has been sitting in secondary fermentation for about a year. I was very worried that the batch would be ruined from all that time unattended. We ran the batch through the first (3 micron) filter and tasted it. It came out very strong with a vanilla and orange flavor. It was so strong, in fact, that I knocked it down a little with some water. Because of the time it spent in the fermentation, bottle it is ready to drink now but will only get better with the coming months.
Here are the details:
Original notes lost.
orange blossom honey
Sat in secondary fermentation for about a year in unstable conditions (imperfect fermentation lock, weather conditions, etc.)
After first filtration, hydro reading: 1.002
Tasting notes: orange and vanilla
Added approx 1.5 liters of water after third filter. Final reading: 1.001